Saturday, January 12, 2013

Do Not Put Out The Spirit's Fire

Continuing in 1 Thessalonians

1 Thessalonians 5:  ISV
12Brothers, we ask you to show your appreciation for those who work among you, set an example for you in the Lord, and instruct you. 13Hold them in the highest regard, loving them because of their work. Live in peace with each other. 14We urge you, brothers, to admonish those who are idle, cheer up those who are discouraged, and help those who are weak. Be patient with everyone. 

15Make sure that no one pays back evil for evil. Instead, always pursue what is good for each other and for everyone else. 
  • 16Always be joyful.
  • 17Continually be prayerful. 
  • 18In everything be thankful, because this is God’s will for you in the Messiah Jesus.
19Do not put out the Spirit’s fire. 
  • 20Do not despise prophecies
  • 21Instead, test everything
  • Hold on to what is good. 
  • 22Keep away from every kind of evil.
23May the God of peace himself make you holy in every way. And may your whole being—spirit, soul, and body—remain blameless when our Lord Jesus, the Messiah, appears. 24The one who calls you is faithful, and he will continue to be faithful.

As a child listening to preachers, I would often read ahead of the pastor. I found statements like verses 19-22 and would ask God "why don't they talk about this?" I truly believe the Lord was  showing me the teachers could not be trusted. Many times I heard teachings which tryed to prove the scriptures were not saying what they said. 

Many years later in 2010, I experienced what I believe was a baptism of the Holy Spirit's fire which was accompanied by the gift of tongues. I also believe what is written regarding prophecies having not ended, but we are warned to "test everything".

When is the last time you heard a message on the following? 
19-22 Do not put out the Spirit's fireDo not despise prophecies. Instead, test everything. Hold on to what is good. Keep away from every kind of evil. 

Matthew 3:11 ISV John the Baptist, speaking of Jesus the Messiah said:
I am baptizing you with water as evidence of repentance, but the one who is coming after me is stronger than I am, and I am not worthy to carry his sandals. It is he who will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.


Brothers and sisters, this song tells my story. I believe I saw the Holy Spirit leave me at one point in my life. I returned to my Father a few years later in 1991, in surrender. I was expecting punishment and impossible to keep rules, but the Father started a party that has never ended. Along the way I have discovered the Father's love gave us the warnings. I want to obey. I want him to be my constant companion. He is Love itself. 




No comments:

Post a Comment