Saturday, December 29, 2012

Sowing And Reaping. Asleep In The Light?

Galatians 6: 
1Brothers, if a person is caught doing something wrong, those of you who are spiritual should restore that person gently. Watch out for yourself so that you are not tempted as well. 2Practice carrying each other’s burdens. In this way you will fulfill the law of the Messiah. 

3For if anyone thinks he is something when he is really nothing, he is only fooling himself. 4Each person must examine his own actions, and then he can boast about his own accomplishments and not about someone else5For everyone must carry his own load. 6The person who is taught the word should share all his goods with his teacher.

 7Stop being deceived; God is not to be ridiculed. A person harvests whatever he plants: 

8The person who sows through human means will harvest decay from human means,
but the person who sows in the Spirit will harvest eternal life from the Spirit

9Let’s not get tired of doing what is good, for at the right time we will reap a harvest—if we do not give up. 10So then, whenever we have the opportunity, let’s practice doing good to everyone, especially to the family of faith. ISV

Many biblical commentators say the two types of harvest are from two different types of sowers, the converted and the unconverted, neither sharing with the other. I do not see that being the case. In verse 1, Paul would appear to be addressing both groups and telling those who are spiritual to restore the one doing wrong, carrying each other's burdens.  

 I see three possible positions here. 

1. A believer can only sow to the flesh, or only sow in the Spirit. If we consider the Old Testament saints, look at David, Solomon, Samson, etc. If we look at the New Testament saints, look at the man in Corinth who married his father's wife and Peter who separated himself from the gentiles to sit with the Jews. I personally do not see this in the scriptures. I was shocked to see many commentators do. 

2. A believer can sow to both. Again look at the Old and New Testament saints. This would appear to me to be clearly true as all believers give in to their fallen nature at times. 

3. A believer can fall away, not finishing the race. Many scriptures clearly appear to say that is possibile.

Verse 9 clearly warns us "Let’s not get tired of doing what is good, for at the right time we will reap a harvest—if we do not give up"

I am not trying to explain away verses. I spent much of my early years in churches which do. 

Over the last several years I have sought the Lord to deliver me from false teachings, perverted doctrine, and the teachings of men. I had discovered I did not believe what God said, but I believed what the teachers had taught me God meant. 

I do appreciate the many scholars who have found treasures in the scriptures, but I do not trust any teacher enough to let them explain away what the scriptures say. I believe the bible was written to children. I am not surprised when verses I have seriously looked at in light of the scriptures appear to disagree in my feeble mind, but cannot as the Holy Spirit inspired them. I do know his word is true. I am nothing apart from him. He is the Almighty, All Knowing God. Today he is crying out to the "wicked to forsake his way" "and he will have mercy on him" and "abundantly pardon" him. 

  • Psalm 34:8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusts in him. 9 O fear the LORD, you his saints: for there is no lack to them that fear him. KJV 
  • Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogance, and the evil way, and the perverse mouth.... KJV
  • Isaiah 55:6 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
    8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORDFor as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. KJV

Asleep In The Light


No comments:

Post a Comment