Friday, December 7, 2012

Can A Believer Lose Their Soul?


Many of us have had it drilled into our minds that once a person was “saved” they could not fall away. The last verses James wrote clearly appear to tell us we can fall away. There are many verses in the bible that appear to support this. I take those verses very seriously as warnings and care not what any man teaches to explain them away. If we abide in Christ the vine, we cannot fall away. If we do not abide in Christ or continue in sin, we should be very concerned about James 5, John 15, and many other warnings in the scriptures. Only God is Truth. I will take his warnings as written and follow him. I am not afraid of falling away as I seek to abide in Christ as he said to do. I want no part of the death of my soul!


James 5 ISV
19My brothers,
if one of you wanders away from the truth
and somebody brings him back, 
20you may be sure
that whoever brings a sinner back from his wrong path
will save his soul from death
and cover a multitude of sins.

These verses appear to clearly say:

  • A brother can wonder away from the truth.
  • It is possible somebody could bring him back from his wrong path.
  • He will still die physically, but his being brought back saves his soul from eternal death.
  • If a brother brings him back, inferring he repents, his sin will be covered by the blood of The Lamb, Jesus!

John 15 ISV:
1“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vintner. 2He cuts off every branch that does not produce fruit in me, and he cuts back every branch that does produce fruit, so that it might produce more fruit. 

3You are already clean because of what I’ve spoken to you. (This was spoken to the disciples and does not automatically include each of us)

4“Abide in me, and I will abide in you. Just as the branch cannot produce fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches. The one who abides in me while I abide in him produces much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. 6Unless a person abides in me, he is thrown away like a pruned branch and dries up. People gather such branches, throw them into a fire, and they are burned up.

Matthew 16:24 ISV
ThenJesus told his disciples, "If anyone wants to follow me, he must denyhimself, pick up his cross, and follow me continuously

No comments:

Post a Comment