Friday, February 1, 2013

We Must Not Neglect A Salvation As Great As This

The Father warns us through his word which was given to Paul that "we may drift away". Why then do so many teachers tell their hearers that they cannot "drift away" and "neglect a salvation as great as this?"

Several years ago the Lord showed me I did not believe much of what he said in the scriptures, but instead I believed what the teachers taught me he meant. Since then I have sought the Lord to deliver me from false teachings. I choose to read the scriptures and believe what was written. Imagine that. Sounds simple doesn't it? Actually it is one of the most difficult tasks I have taken on in my life, as my mind naturally reads the scriptures and automatically redefines them based upon what I was taught the scriptures meant. I have to read them slowly and then challenge myself to see if I believe exactly what was written, as it is written.

The following passages in Hebrews are examples of passages I was programmed to read over, and discount them without even considering what they really said. This is one of Satan's strategies as he steals the word of God and his warnings. In Matthew 13, Jesus told us in an example of the farmer sowing seed. "4As he was sowing, some seeds fell along the path, and birds came and ate them up", Then Jesus explained it "19When anyone hears the word about the kingdom yet doesn’t understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is what was sown along the path."

Hebrews 1  ISV  At the end of chapter 1, regarding the angels of God, Paul tells us:
  • 14All of them are spirits on a divine mission, sent to serve those who are about to inherit salvation, aren’t they? 
Hebrews 2  ISV  
1For this reason we must pay closer attention to the things we have heard, 
  • or we may drift away, 
  • 2because if the message spoken by angels was reliable, 
  • and every violation and act of disobedience received its just punishment, 
  • 3how will we escape if we neglect a salvation as great as this?
 It was first proclaimed by the Lord himself, and then it was confirmed to us by those who heard him, 4while God added his testimony through signs, wonders, various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.

Thy Word Have I Hid In My Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment