Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Husbands Are Commanded To Be Understanding and Honor Their Wives.

Several years ago a young man came to my office from many miles away. He wanted to speak to the owner. I invited him into the conference room. He then told me that he was looking through a Shepherd's Guide, which is a Christian Yellow Pages, and when he saw my ad the Lord told him to go see the owner.

He told me he did not know why he was sent to me, so I asked about his job. He said he liked his job. Then I asked about his family and he said "maybe that is it. I am thinking about divorcing my wife and I have found another woman I want to marry."

The Lord knew I would ask about his marriage as it is part of my ministry. I understood and would tell the young man the truth. I spent much time warning him that if he did this he may never return to the Lord and split hell wide open. I told him not to believe you can walk away from God and know you will return. As I was severely warning him, he interrupted me and said "there is such compassion in your eyes". There should have been. Even though I professed faith in Christ, I failed morally when I was young and wounded my wife and children. My wife justifiably divorced me.

I know what it is like to serve the wicked one and I know what it is like to reap what I sowed. Over twenty years later my second wife would turn on me and divorce me, even though I loved her and begged her not to destroy the home and devastate the two children we had together.

Peter tells us that in a similar way that servants and wives are to submit, husbands are to live with their wives in an understanding manner and to honor them. As wives are divorcing so are husbands. This ought not to be named among the people of God, as devastation is brought upon their wives and especially the children.

We live in a day of selfishness and cold hearts. Many professing Christians will hear Jesus the Messiah say:

  •  21“Not everyone who keeps saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will get into the kingdom fromd heaven, but only the person who keeps doing the will of my Father in heaven22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, we prophesied in your name, drove out demons in your name, and performed many miracles in your name, didn’t we?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who practice evil!’”e Matthew 7 ISV 

No, we will not hear the teachers of our day warn us, but we are responsible for what the Word of God tells us to do and not to do. We must repent/turn from our sins and follow Jesus continually. If we sin, we are to repent quickly and continue following Jesus.

1 Peter 3 ISV

7In a similar way, you husbands must live with your wives in an understanding manner, as with a most delicate partner.b Honor them as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing may interfere with your prayers.

8Finally, all of you must live in harmony, be sympathetic, love as brothers, and be compassionate and humble9Do not pay others back evil for evil or insult for insult. Instead, keep blessing them, because you were called to inherit a blessing.
10“For the person who wants to love life
and see good days
must keep his tongue from evil
and his lips from speaking deceit.
11He must turn away from evil and do good.
He must seek peace and pursue it.
12For the Lordc watches the righteous,d
and he pays attention to their prayers.e
But the Lordf opposes thoseg who do wrong.”h
Brothers and sisters, It is so easy to read  verses 10 through 12 and not see something very serious. The Lord is telling us that the people being described are either "righteous" or "do wrong".

Sometimes I believe God leads me to the perfect song for the post. This is one of those times. 



No comments:

Post a Comment