Monday, May 20, 2013

Godly Sorrow Results In Repentance That Leads To Salvation And Leaves No Regrets

Yesterday, near the end of 2 Corinthians chapter 6, we saw very clear warnings and promises from God.

  1. We are not to be unevenly yoked with unbelievers, for what fellowship can light have with darkness! Verse 14
  2. God promises to live and walk among his people who will one day be revealed. Verse 16
  3. We are warned a second time to separate from yoking with unbelievers and "don't touch anything unclean". Verse 17
  4. God says if we do what he said "Then I will welcome you. I will be your Father and you will be my sons and daughters."

As we look into chapter 7, we see a continuation of chapter 6. Paul had previously written and seriously warned the Corinthians of sin in the church. We are told that since we have these promises we should cleanse ourselves.

Please read the following passages very carefully. You will see that the promises of God are for those who repent and continue to repent. "For having sorrow in a godly way results in repentance that leads to salvation". Brothers and sisters, we have not finished the race. Please warn yourselves and those you love. So many have a form of godliness, but deny the power thereof. 2 Timothy 3:5 They deny that the power of God changes a person!!!

2 Corinthians 7 ISV

1Since we have these promises, dear friends
  • let’s cleanse ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit by becoming mature in our holy fear of God.

2Make room for us in your hearts!a We have not treated anyone unjustly, harmed anyone, or cheated anyone. 3I am not saying this to condemn you. I told you before that you are in our hearts to die together and to live together. 4I have great confidence in you. I am very proud of you. I am very much encouraged. I am overjoyed in all our troubles.

5For even when we came to Macedonia, our bodies had no rest. We suffered in a number of ways. Outwardly there were conflicts, inwardly there were fears. 6Yet God, who comforts those who feel miserable, comforted us by the arrival of Titus, 7and not only by his arrival but also by the comfort he had received from you. He told us about your longing for me, your sorrow, and your eagerness to take my side, and this made me even happier.

8If I made you sad with my letter, I do not regret it, although I did regret it then. 
  • I see that the letter caused you sorrow, though only for a while. 
  • 9Now I am happy, not because you had such sorrow, but because your sorrow led you to repent. For you were sorry in a godly way, and so you were not hurt by us in any way
  • 10For having sorrow in a godly way results in repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regrets. 
  • But the sorrow of the world produces death.


No comments:

Post a Comment