Friday, August 9, 2013

Can A Christian Have Their Name Blotted Out Of The Book Of Life?

John continues the letters to the churches. Today we look at the church in Sardis. In this warning from Jesus, I see some very sobering issues here.

  1. The church as a whole was dead.
  2. Jesus warns them some are about to die. 
  3. Jesus warns those who are not dead to obey and repent.
  4. There are a few who have not soiled their clothes with sins of that day. They will walk with Jesus because they are worthy. They are finishing the race. Their names will not be erased from the Book of Life.
We cannot earn salvation. Jesus took the wrath of God for us, and paid for salvation, yet over and over in the New Testament we are warned and find we are responsible for our actions. I believe what is written. We are to live a holy life and one of ongoing repentance. Why would we play with sin and having our names blotted out of the Book of Life?

I do not try to explain these verses away with other scriptures. I take them as written and seek to be an obedient child of God, loving him and his people. We must humble ourselves before Jesus the Messiah. He is Love. Love warns us.


Revelation 3 ISV

1“To the messengera of the church in Sardis, write:
‘The one who has the seven spirits of God and the seven stars says this:

‘I know what you’ve been doing
  • You are known for being alive, but you are dead. 
  • 2Be alert, and strengthen the things that are left, which are about to die. 
  • I note that your actions are incomplete before my God. 
  • 3So remember what you received and heard. 
  • Obey it, and repent. 
  • If you are not alert, I will come like a thief, and you won’t know the time when I will come to you. 
  • 4But you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes. 
  • They will walk with me in white clothes because they are worthy. 
  • 5The person who conquers in this way will wear white clothes, and I will never erase his name from the Book of Life. 
  • I will acknowledge his name in the presence of my Father and his angels.

6‘Let everyoneb listen to what the Spirit says to the churches.’”



No comments:

Post a Comment