Sunday, August 11, 2013

Believers Who Are Miserable, Pitiful, Poor, Blind, And Naked

John writes the seventh and final letter to the church in Laodicea. This church is so very like today's church in the western world. These passages are a rebuke to the health and wealth gospel preached by countless greedy, ear tickling preachers today.

Jesus is not talking to unbelievers, but believers and he tells them:

  1. Their actions are neither cold nor hot and if they do not repent Jesus will spit them out of his mouth. 
  2. They do not realize they are miserable, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked.
  3. Jesus advises them to by from him gold purified in the fire so they may be rich and white clothes to wear so their shameful nakedness won't show, and to buy ointment to put on their eyes so they can see. 
  4. He tells them he disciplines those who he loves and for them to be serious and repent.
Do we want to be spit out of God's mouth? Is that what you do to your bride? Brothers and sisters, these are very serious warnings and I do not want to be part of this group of believers. These believers sound much like those who fall away. How can a child of God be blind and naked? We are wealthy in this nation and many are guilty of loving money. This is idolatry and and Jesus says idolaters "will find themselves in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. This is the second death." Revelation 21:8

Time is short. We do not know we have tomorrow. Are we lukewarm? Jesus tells these people they do not realize their condition. This should shake us with holy fear! What do we do? We go to the Father, humbling ourselves and seeking him to reveal our sins to us. Surrender all we are and all we have to him. Ask him to do what it takes to keep us from being one who is lukewarm. Live out this attitude and prayer until he comes for us. I did this in 2001. I have not been the same since. I am still doing it. I will not be satisfied until I live a life which constantly realizes Jesus is at my side, hearing and seeing every thing I do.

Revelation 3 ISV

14“To the messengerh of the church in Laodicea, write:
‘The Amen, the witness who is faithful and true, the originator of God’s creation, says this:

15‘I know your actions, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were cold or hot
  • 16Since you are lukewarm and neither hot nor cold, I am going to spit you out of my mouth. 
  • Yet you don’t realize that you are miserable, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked. 
  • I advise you to buy from me gold purified in fire so you may be rich, white clothes to wear so your shameful nakedness won’t show, and ointment to put on your eyes so you may see. 
17You say, “I am rich. I have become wealthy. I don’t need anything.” 

18Therefore, 

19I correct and discipline those whom I love, so be serious and repent! 


20Look! I am standing at the door and knocking. If anyone listens to my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he will eati with me. 


21To the one who conquers I will give a place to sit with me on my throne, just as I have conquered and have sat down with my Father on his throne.


22‘Let everyonej listen to what the Spirit says to the churches.’”


No comments:

Post a Comment